Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hmmmm

Something weird is going on with my boss. He had been keeping very odd hours lately, leaving super early or not coming in, then turning up unexpectedly muttering about having a crazy day, and leaving again after an hour or so. He's been looking exhausted, and keeping his door shut pretty much ALL the time, which is not usual.

So today I told him that we'd filed something wrong on a matter (not a biggie though, and thanfully not something I did), and he apologized that he'd missed the mistake and said he was just not catching things because his mind was elsewhere. Then told me in confidence that he had a lot of "stuff" going on, and that he may not even be able to attend the conference in Sweden that we're supposed to be going to in October. Which will be really shitty for me, because as annoying as my boss is, he's better than hanging out with the big bosses who will also be going (I'm the lowliest person from our place attending). And he would have included me on meetings and schmoozing with clients, but now I'm going to have to do that on my own. Bleuch. Hate that. I'm so not happy about walking into a room full of people on my own and trying to strike up conversations. It reminds me of all the weddings and other social events I've had to attend on my own as a single person, which just makes me downright depressed and causes me to drink way too much wine. And of course, I hate being sworn to secrecy as I'd love to speculate about what's going on with people here, but I gave him my word. Hey, telling the world via my blog doesn't count, all right!!

So, I first of all thought him and his wife might be doing IVF. Ha, why do I assume that whatever is wrong with me must be wrong with other people? But then, thinking about it a bit more sensibly, I started thinking that maybe their marriage is in trouble, and she's demanding that he gets home early and not go on business trips. Or maybe she already left him, and he's stuck with full responsibility for their kid? I'm assuming it's not a physical illness as I figure he'd just tell me about that, and not be coy about "stuff", but you never know. I said that I hoped everything was all right, and he just said he was hanging in there. So clearly everything is not all right. He told me not to worry as he wasn't thinking of leaving work, and anyway if he did he'd want to take his team with him, so we'd know about it in advance. Shame really, as I've love to leave this place!!

Hmmmm. I wonder if I can get out of going to Sweden if he doesn't go? Probably not, I suppose, but ugh.

2 comments:

Calliope said...

hmmmmmm...how irksome not to be able to speculate with others.
at least it doesn't sound like he has broken any laws or that he has some big illness. Could be that his wife is ill or a parent?
hmmmmmm...I don't even know the guy & I am intrigued.

namaste said...

Funny - one of my first thoughts was that your boss was having fertility problems too. This stuff really warps you, doesn't it? :)

Sorry about him not joining you for the work trip. While Sweden sounds exciting, hanging out with stuffy people doesn't. I personally hate work stuff like that. Blick. Good luck. xo