Sunday, August 27, 2006

The cone of death

Well, the projected path for Hurricane Ernesto has swung around, and I am now in the 3-day projected path, or "cone of death" as we like to call it. Hopefully it'll swing again, and miss me completely, but I suppose I'd better spend some time making preparations. I'm pretty prepared except my hurricane shutters at the front have still not been fixed since last time, so they'll have to be wired shut instead of properly closed. Don't have any granola bars in the house since my peanut sensitivity came to light during the last hurricane, but I guess I could grab some peanut-free ones from the supermarket (if there are any left). And I haven't bought any water since the last hurricane, so I'll have to get some today or tomorrow. Oh, and my roof is in bad shape since the last storm, so I'm going to be worried about that.

But at least right now the path is projected to be towards Tampa, and I'm towards the edge of the cone, so it could very well miss me altogether. Sorry, Tampa, but I'm hoping it hits you instead of me. I know there's no hard feelings though, as I know you guys are praying for it to hit me instead of you. It's all just that "anywhere but here" thinking which we in the hurricane prone areas are very good at doing.

I am in an evacuation zone, and have to evacuate if it's a major storm (category 3 or above) and normally I'd go south to my aunt's in Miami, but they are likely to be in the path too, unless it does a swing across the state. My other plan was to go directly north to a hotel in Melbourne or somewhere, but again that's looking like it'll be in the path this time. I'll just have to wait and see what the predictions are showing.

Well, I suppose it's good that I'm not pregnant, because getting the house ready for a storm is many sweaty hours of back breaking work. Although it would probably have been a good time to "come out" to my guy friends so that they'd come to my rescue and do the work for me.

But anyway, here we go again...

Please, please let the storm miss us.

1 comment:

namaste said...

Here's hoping that the naughty hurricane self-destructs before he hits anybody. I'll be watching the news and thinking of you...