Thursday, July 10, 2008

Freaky deaky

So, has Go***ogle Street View come to your area yet? I mean, I remember the big hullaballoo when it was first introduced and it only had the big cities. I checked out NYC for a couple of minutes, and thought it was mildly interesting. But I was tooling around this morning on the map site, trying to map out a good cycling route to the local community college, and there was the option for street view! They've been out and done my city some time in the past year, and I didn't notice. So up on screen pops my house, in all its glory. With my car sitting in the driveway. And I can go up and down all the local streets. So then of course I have been off exploring, looking at the local park (seriously? Who drives down the road in the park apart from the park maintenance people?), my office building, the supermarket, the fancy shopping street, the elementary school. I don't know why it is so freaky, but it really is. You can rotate the view, look up and down, go down streets, look left and right. Freeeaaaky.

It kind of makes me long to live in a gated community because it doesn't show them as I guess they couldn't drive past the gates. But I don't suppose it'll be long before big brother is in the gated communities too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad google can't send out a flyer when they are going to be capturing images. It would be fun to stand out in the yard with a sign. Although I don't know what I would put on the sign...

How goes the detox??

Almamay said...

Great idea Calliope! What would you put on your sign? On the G**gle satellite map of our street I can see they photographed our street years ago with our old Mini.

Yeah, how's the detox going?

Anonymous said...

My entire area isn't on that map yet. My friend and sister's homes are on it though. It was funny b/c in one frame I saw a dog taking a dump, lol!