Thursday, January 31, 2008

Playing tag

I've been tagged by Katedaphne. Actually she tagged me a while ago and I've been putting off answering because I can never think of things about me that might be interesting and which I have not posted before. However, today she has such an eloquent post about moving on (or trying to) from that genetic link that I felt the need to send people over there. So go on over! She's a great writer.

The Rules:
1) Link to the person who tagged you.
2) Post the rules on your blog.
3) Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself.
4) Tag at least three people at the end of your post and link to their blogs.
5) Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
6) Let the fun begin!

OK, so, ummm.

1) I never did ballet as a child. I whined and whined to go to ballet classes, and when my mother finally relented and took me, I stared in through the window of the door at the class going on before mine, panicked and threw a tantrum to go home again. I was just too shy to try it out. Eventually I joined a gymnastics class and liked that just fine so I tried to convince myself that I liked gymnastics better and that ballet was for sissies, but was really secretly jealous.

2) I have started collecting coins. Sort of. My dad collected coins for my brother and I when we were kids, one proof set for every year since we were born. In honor of that I took the plunge last year and ordered a set of the new presidential dollar coins in the hope that maybe I'd have a kid to share them with. But I'm thinking of getting all the state quarters too just to have even if I am never successful with the whole pregnancy thing.

3) I don't like raisins or currants or sultanas (golden raisins). Never have, never will. Don't even try to get me to try one just in case my tastes have changed, as my grandpa does every year without fail. Ewww. And especially don't try to force fruit cake in my face.

4) I am such a geek that one of the high points of my life remains playing with one of the telescopes at Jodrell Bank while at college. It's such a fabulous name, Jodrell Bank, as immortalized in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: "The huge yellow somethings went unnoticed at Goonhilly, they passed over Cape Canaveral without a blip, Woomera and Jodrell Bank looked straight through them—which was a pity because it was exactly the sort of thing they'd been looking for all these years".

5) I love custard, and on bad news days am very glad that my local supermarket carries it for a bit of good old fashioned comfort eating. But I don't love the skin that forms if you leave it sitting out. Blech.

6) Allegedly I can't pronounce "sixth". I think I pronounce it perfectly well, but a certain friend of mine keeps making feeble "Return of the Sith" jokes every time I have to say it. I'm now developing a complex.

And here's where I break the rules of this game shamelessly. I'm not going to tag anyone else specifically, because most of you have been tagged before and some of the rest of you may be like me and be unable to think what to say. So, I'm tagging you if you want to play along, and if you don't, that's fine too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah! Thanks for the lovely words about my blog. You're the best!

Too funny about ballet. My mom signed me up for it and I HATED it. But I liked to watch the gymnastics class that met afterward. Eventually I switched and never looked back, kept it up thru high school, although I wasn't terribly good.

bleu said...

OK but do you like craisins (dried cranberries) or dried cherries. I am not a big fan of raisins but love those.

Also if you put saran wrap on the custard, or pudding and press it down touching the entire surface it stops a skin from forming.

I am such a dork.

suzzcq70 said...

I am collecting the state quarters too . . . originally for my son as we were waiting for his birth/adoption, but somehow I am thinking the coins will be mine in the long run, b/c I am a geek. Also, b/c once we did the embryo adoption and our second son was born, how can I give one son a set of coins and the other nothing? You bet . . . I am way to lazy to collect two sets!

Looking forward to following your journey!