Sunday, November 12, 2006

My dad the spy

Woo-hooo! Today I take the last BCP, so I should expect my period maybe on Thursday, it'll be u/s and b/w on Friday, and maybe starting stims on Saturday. Man, this has dragged. Even though doing microdose lupron + BCP takes the same amount of overall time, this long lupron protocol has seemed to take much much longer.

I called my dad this morning to say hi, and can I just announce to the internet that he is weird? Him and my step mother both answered the phone at the same time. I said "well, hello to both of you at the same time - that's convenient!". My stepmother continued talking. We talked about the weather over there, my car breaking down, shit like that. Not a peep from dad. I said "er, did dad put the phone down?", to which she said "well, I guess he must have, he must have heard me answer the phone and not waited to hear your voice". So, we continued chatting for a bit. She said "well, I'll call upstairs to your dad and tell him you're on the phone". There was a pause. She duly shouted up the stairs. Dad then spoke into the phone - he hadn't actually put the phone down, and had been listening all along. Weirdo. I said "why on earth didn't you speak? We could have been saying bad things about you", to which he said that when two women start talking he can't get a word in edgewise. Which is so not true, as my stepmother and I don't exactly have the world's greatest relationship, so there's always a few awkward pauses. Now, that just freaked me out. Was he spying on me, to make sure I was polite to her or something? Then later on in the phone call he was complaining that no-one ever calls him to let him know what's going on in the family. I tried to point out that he could call them, but he reckons that it's always him who calls everyone. Funny how I get that exact same feeling!

Oh well, he wished me luck for the next IVF, and said he'd keep his fingers crossed. He sounded a bit crestfallen when I said that if it didn't work this time I might just give it up as a bad job. I know he wants grandchildren so badly, because obviously he wants to continue all those fantastic genes! Hey, let's bring more weirdo children into the world to carry on his good work! No, seriously, he's not that weird. Eccentric, maybe. Can I fool myself into believing that? My dad is only eccentric, not weird. Maybe if I repeat it often enough I'll start thinking it. Like telling myself that my IVF will work this time. I AM continuing on eccentric genes. It WILL work this time. I will NOT be giving birth to more weirdos, only interestingly-abled children.

Uh huh, I can feel it working already...

2 comments:

Deb2You2 said...

My dad does that too...about the no one ever calls thing...very annoying, IMO. However, his second wife (notice how I don't call her my step-mom...hey, they got married after I was out of high school) is crazy and jealous of his kids from his first marrage (us). Very Sad. Anyway, just had to laugh when I read about your dad. Best wishes for this cycle. May it be the one. Deb

Calliope said...

wait- didn't YOU just call him?? So how can he say nobody phones him? ah! the madness of parents.

& DUDE- how did I miss the last BCP celebration? HIGH FIVE!