Friday, November 10, 2006

I forgot!

I did it, I did what I've been stressing about - I totally forgot about my lupron shot. Well, only for an hour, but still. It's a scary occurence. I am trying to do my shots at 6.30pm because I know I'll have to do two lots of stims a day, and 6.30am is the best time in the morning between normal days when that's when my alarm goes off, and u/s days, when that's pretty much when I have to leave the house. So I'm trying to get everything lined up for shots 12 hours apart. I'd normally be working at 6.30pm, so I've been loading up my needle in the morning and taking it to work. I have a little reminder set up on my work computer that bings at me as 6.30 approaches, so I don't forget. But yesterday I decided to leave work early at 5.45pm, because it was a nice day, my boss was out of town and I wasn't working anyway but surfing obssessively about IVF. I came home, looked at the mail, played with the cat a bit, got some food out of the freezer for dinner, had some salad as an appetizer, tried to watch TV but it wasn't working so I ended up finishing off a book I'd been reading. You know, just happily puttered around the house. It wasn't until I decided to get changed into pj's while dinner was cooking that I wandered into my bedroom and saw the clock, and the sharps container on my dresser, that realization hit me and I had a mild panic attack. The lupron! Luckily, because I'm such an old pro at injections these days, it was out of my handbag and in my belly within nanoseconds. But still.

I'm not worried about doing the shot an hour late. It was only an hour after all. What worries me more is that I was completely unaware of the need for the shot for the hour and a half that I was puttering around the house. Completely unaware. It never even crossed my mind that I was supposed to be doing a shot. Normally it's in the back of my mind somewhere. Or the front. Normally I'm counting down, reciting to myself that I mustn't forget, making sure I'm not doing something that would take my mind off the need for a shot. But nope, my mind was blank. Blank, blank, blank. Urgh, what if I do it again, and really forget a shot?

And there was me saying that this cycle wasn't stressing me out so far.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah! I came across your blog and have been reading and keeping up with you. I am mid-way through IVF #1. I had a similar nearly-forgot-the-Lupron incident, and I've since set a clock radio in the kitchen to go off at 6:30, which is also my shooting hour. I didn't think it was possible to forget, since it seems to be all that I think about! I am similiarly dependent on Outlook to tell me what to do.

Good luck to you! I'll be reading and hoping for celebratory news.

Solitaire said...

Oooh, I like setting the clock radio to go off! Why didn't I think of that? Now I can be reminded at home and at work. Thanks Michelle, and good luck to you too!

BigP's Heather said...

I set an alarm on my cell phone. It goes off at 8am and 8pm for meds...

Calliope said...

I just think it is amazing that you forgot. I mean, wow.

Is it wrong of me to applaud that? I mean not the forgetting, but the being so plugged in with the regular world that the ttc shit wasn't what was screaming in your brain.

I like the alarm ideas tho- you know, for next time.