Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The good things about doing IVF on your own

I was going to post about my shopping trip to buy yet more vitamins and supplements yesterday, but it's not inspiring me. Maybe another day. I'm nowhere near as bad as I was in my true vitamin-junkie days, but I'd still basically rattle if you shook me in the morning after taking my first dose of supplements for the day. And I still earn way too many points on the "frequent buyer" program at my local vitamin retailer.

But let's not go there. What I decided to post about was the good things about doing IVF on your own. So often I just ramble on here about crap stuff, and I don't celebrate the good things enough. So, here goes -

There's no-one to:
tell me not to spend the new car fund/kid's college fund/house repair fund on another IVF
tell me not to go into debt for IVF
tell me that I'm spending too much money on acupuncture
tell me that I'm crazy for popping so many vitamins every day
tell me that "if it doesn't happen naturally, it's not meant to be"
sit moping at the RE's that it's taking too long to get seen
tell me that I shouldn't keep crying or drown my sorrows when a cycle fails.

And there's no one that I feel guilty towards for letting them down with my crap eggs.

Ummm, OK, I've kind of run out. But honestly, sometimes I am very grateful for the freedom I have to make all the decisions and take all the consequences if those decisions turn out to be bad. And I'm very grateful that I earn enough money to have been able to afford my attempts so far. So I'm trying to focus on the positives.

Equally, there're many sucky things about doing this on your own, specifically the lack of support and a free ride to the clinic. In fact, I'm thinking about driving myself to transfer this time, only taking half the dose of valium and hanging out there until they tell me I'm safe to drive home. Because it's such a pain trying to organize a ride when the other person has to take a day off at very short notice too, and is driving you out of the kindness of their heart.

The lupron is going OK so far today. I managed not to shout at the cat, and I only have a very mild headache but nothing too bad. I did forget to bring my injection fixins' into work today, so I have to leave early in time to make my 6.30 injection time that I've set myself, but then again, leaving work early is not necessarily a bad thing! Heh, I might even catch the evening news so I can gloat a bit more over the fabulous election results.

No comments: