Thursday, September 28, 2006

The pissed off report

I finally took time out of my busy schedule of being poked and prodded to call the embryo storage place. I asked them why the "single client depositor" form didn't let me donate embryos to scientific research in the event of my death. They told me it was because the sperm donor had not consented to the embryos being used for stem cell research.

Puh-lease. How ridiculous is that?  First of all, not all of the research is stem cell  research. Some of it is plain old IVF research. Second, I thought the point of using frozen sperm was so that I had 100 percent legal control over it. The sperm donor consented to the use of his sperm. The fact that he may or may not have consented to research should be completely irrelevant.  Third, I'm sure anybody, fundamentalist Christian or not, would rather the embryos were used for research if the only other alternative was the trash.  Well no, I'm sure they would want me to jump through all the donation hoops now in case I snuff it. Well, ignoring the fact that they would have preferred me not to conceive out of wedlock, of course.  But say I die tomorrow, before I get the donation paperwork done, there's an embryo there - would anyone honestly object to using it for research in preference to disposing of it?  I'm going to have to complain to my RE about this.

In happier news, today I get to meet Calliope. I bet you're all jealous of me!  So I'll tell her all about the Clear Passage stuff, and maybe I'll tell you guys more about it tomorrow. Today's interesting maneuver - having to sit on my heels in a kneeling position with a therapist's hand up my hoo-ha pushing on my cervix to move my uterus forward. Fun, fun, fun!
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

um. wow. THAT was a visual I am not sure I needed ;-)

yay for meeting day!!!!

namaste said...

I'm excited you two get to meet also! Yay! Hopefully it'll erase the memories of the, um, adjustments today. Yikes. You are a brave brave woman (for the uterus adjustment, not for meetin Calliope). Hope you girls have fun! :)

katty said...

Look, I've been restraining myself over the past few days, but I just HAVE to know more about this vaginal therapy.
A few posts back some comments included the notion this was like a 'spa'? I truly hope not. Are you entirely naked on your hands on knees? Or do you wear a paper gown? Who is this person with their hand inside you? Is s/he wearing a white gown? Is there music? Is there dimmed lighting? Are you on a table? Is it all taking place in a clinic or a front room? Is fruit juice available? Is it like a spa, or like a hospital? Is it in any way unnerving or embarrasing? Or rather, any more unnerving or embarrassing than having a small team gather around your nether regions for an embryo transfer? At any point do you think: My God! I'm on all fours with a ladies hand up my hoo-ha?
This is not prurience. I keep returning to your posts with a kind of staggered amazement. Please Tell More! More Details Needed!
I hope you and calliope had a wonderful time.

katty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.