Tuesday, September 05, 2006

My job sucks

I really hate my job sometimes. Well, pretty much most of the time. But I stick it out because I want to stay in the U.S. and I can't change jobs now until I get my green card. Which could still be a couple of years away.

Today I had to take sarcastic abuse from one of the bigwigs in an email that was copied to several people. Fucker. I'm so mad. It was about this conference in Sweden that I'm attending for the firm, which I get no personal benefit from, and for which, I might add, my employer is NOT PAYING. Even though I got my budget request in well ahead of time, I found out after my boss had whined at me to book early on the promise that the money would be coming that in fact it had NOT been approved, because I submitted it to the person in charge of the office budget, and not my department's budget. Even though my head of department told me to submit it to the person in charge of the office budget. Even though any one of them could have told me earlier that I needed to resubmit it. And of course now it is near the end of the fiscal year and I'm told that there's no money left.

I complained to the big boss department head, who told me that that the abuse was just this guy's personality, and I just had to "take it". At least he didn't add "like a man". Grrreat. And he said he'd see about getting me some money because the department didn't have a budget so it should have gone in the office budget. Uh, yeah, like hell the department doesn't have a budget. But then he waffled on for some time about my status in the company and basically tried to change the subject.

I am seriously thinking of canceling the trip, but my boss has canceled because of his personal "stuff" and is pleading with me to still go because someone needs to meet with our team's clients. Frankly I'm at the point where if he wants me to go I think he needs to not only pay my way but also pay me danger money for having to hang out with the sarcastic arsehole who is going.

And now I'm in a lot more fibromyalgia pain because I let it get me stressed. Stress is not good for me! Plus, I have so much to do that I'm going to be here reeeeally late tonight, meaning that I'll miss the season premiere of House.

*Sigh*

I guess I could always go back to England, but then I can't get IVF done as easily. I just feel so trapped here, and so miserable sometimes.

Ain't life grand?

***ETA: 9.46pm and still at work with no sign of going home yet. Ain't life grand?***

***ETA: 11.09pm, and finally going home, although I'm leaving a large stack of work that must be done tomorrow, so tomorrow is going to be just as busy. And I'm starving, as I haven't had dinner. Oh well, at least it helps that I have a caring employer who will thank me for putting in extra hours. Sigh. ***

2 comments:

Care said...

Sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. What a lousy job situation. Must make it hard to get up and go to work every day with that kind of stress. There is no excuse for expecting you to go to a conference in Sweden and pay your own way - none at all. That alone would have me boiling. So sorry you are stuck in this situation.

namaste said...

Oh they have lost their minds if they expect you to go to a work conference, um, in ANOTHER COUNTRY (!!!) and pay for it out of your own pocket. That's the most insane thing I have ever heard. You are well within your rights to refuse to go if the company won't fund it. Yeesh! Insane, insane, insane. Makes me want to get on I-95 and drive down there and smack someone. Big mean corporate bullies are being mean to my sweet Sarah. Hmmph!!!