Saturday, September 16, 2006

Having a leeky day

I have a confession to make. I have not been good at dieting this week. I have eaten a little too much pasta, and not enough veggies. I've had a few too many bowls of cereal. I had a slice of apple pie yesterday. So, I decided that in order to not have a weight gain to post come Monday morning, I'd better do something drastic this weekend. That, and in my patient intake form for Clear Passage I put down a little white lie as to what my weight was. I thought I'd be well below that weight by the time I got there, but I'm above it, and well, I don't like to be caught in a lie!

I therefore decided that this would be miracle leek soup weekend. From the book French Women Don't Get Fat. You basically boil up some leeks and live on it until Sunday night, when you can have that old diet standby of a "sensible dinner". Except I decided to have one hard boiled egg for breakfast every day because I don't think I can just live on leeks and watery leek broth alone.

Anyway, so far so good, except I'm tired, as I always am every time I have tried to fast. But what's bugging me is that I've got a raging headache. Now, in England, most women it seems are into "detoxing" every now and then. It's a big thing. All the women's magazines recommend it. I don't see so much mention of it in America, but maybe they just call it something else. I think living on leek soup for a weekend would definitely count as detoxing though. I always used to get raging headaches when detoxing, which I put down firmly to caffeine withdrawal. But I don't drink caffeine any more, apart from maybe one hot chocolate a week and a very occasional Starbucks iced chai. I think since I kicked the post-IVF#1 (or #2 depending on how I'm counting) badness, I've had one iced chai. In the last two months. So where is this effing headache coming from? I thought it might be a dehydration headache, but I've been drinking plenty of water, and this just doesn't feel the way my dehydration headaches do. It feels exactly like a caffeine withdrawal headache. Which begs the question: what toxic substance am I ingesting on a regular basis that would cause this reaction? It can't be the milk, surely, as I've given up milk before and not had a problem. I've also given up wheat before and not had a problem. I eat a pretty varied diet, I think, and I can't think of any one thing I have every day. I have a lot of peppermint tea at work, but usually just drink water at the weekends, and don't normally have a weekend headache. And that's about it for something I have every day.

Hmmm, maybe we just aren't supposed to spend a day living on leeks? Must try not to use that as an excuse for kicking this crazy idea and pigging out on something scrumptious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you can count me as your 4th loyal reader. I read! I but, I mostly *just* read.

I can't wait to hear how day 2 goes on the magical leek soup. You are a good girl for going ahead and making it. :-)

It's magical!

namaste said...

I'm sorry, but I think your body agrees with me on the leek issue and that's why you're having a headache. My face scrunches up involuntarily just thinking about that magical soup. I humbly bow to you and your willpower as there's no way I'd be able to survive on leeks alone. All hail She Who Has Much Willpower! :)