Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Blood draw

It was the best blood draw ever. Except it hurt, but hey.

The guy turned up at 6.55am, sat in the car for five minutes, came in a 7am and was gone at 7.08am. He drew six vials of blood for the immune/clotting tests, and will FedEx them off to the lab today. I'd managed to get dressed in my walking clothes, clean my teeth and comb my hair. I looked fairly presentable for 7am, I think. Of course, I didn't actually go walking after the guy left, as I thought it wouldn't be very good to faint while out of the house so I slumped on the sofa and read a book while munching toast and marmite. Not that I was in danger of fainting, as I've had way more than 6 vials drawn without a problem, but it seemed like a plausible excuse for toast-munching at the time. I have no idea when I will get the results. Presumably sometime in the next two months. I'm sure someone will tell me if things are bad.

It was so so nice to have this all done at my house (apart from the cleaning I ended up doing last night, but at least I have a nice sparkly house now). So much easier than traipsing to the RE's, hanging about in the waiting room forever, getting the blood drawn, hanging out to check out just in case you have to pay, schlepping back through rush hour traffic, being stressed because you're late to work.

Of course, now I'm secretly worried that the glass of red wine I had last night will make my blood all thin and make the clotting tests inaccurate, because I won't be drinking red wine at embryo implantation time. And I was secretly worried about that yesterday, and still couldn't resist pouring myself a glass. I did limit myself to one glass though, but sometimes I seriously wonder if I have an alcohol problem. Why couldn't I just have not had any? Sure, I can give it up with no difficulty. I've gone months without drinking (when I thought that little things like that would actually get me pregnant). But if I'm in a drinking phase, sometimes looking forward to that glass is what gets me through the day. So I drank some. So there. Oh well, if I have a real clotting problem I'm sure the revasterol in one measly glass won't turn it into an "all clear" result. I hope.

1 comment:

namaste said...

Oh dear. I think that you should drink your glass of wine and enjoy it. And color your hair and feel gorgeous. And not feel pressured to date or anything else that you don't want to do. This has been a difficult bunch of months for you and you should be kind to yourself. :) What did you decide to do about the conference???