Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Anatomic anomaly

Thanks for the kind thoughts yesterday. That was sweet of you, and much appreciated. :)

Yesterday I got distracted pretty much all day because I got hold of the typed up report of my laparoscopic surgery that I had done a year ago, because the people at Clear Passage want to see it. I was a bit shocked to see that it described the layout of my tubes and ovaries as an "anatomic anomaly". I mean, the RE had told me that my tubes and ovaries were in the wrong place, but I just thought they'd moved a bit - I have a retroverted uterus, which after all is a perfectly normal alternative position for the uterus to be in, so I figured they'd just flopped over with the uterus, or were mis-placed because they were stuck to my abdomen. But no, the tubes are short, and stretched to their maximum length instead of being curved, and the ovaries are just plain in the wrong place. Even though the lefty was free to move about, apparently it just liked being in the wrong place. The righty was stuck to the abdomen wall. Maybe lefty just wanted to keep it company? The report makes mention of this possibly interfering with ovum pickup. Which was all a bit of a surprise, really, and even today I'm having difficulty getting my head around having a bit of me described as an anatomic anomaly. I guess it's a good thing that I'm doing IVF.

At least it said my va-jay-jay was normal. Which, while reassuring, is also not necessarily the sort of thing you want to see in writing. Because it means that the doc had a good look. I mean, I knew he did - he did a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy after all, but to read a typed up report of it is a tad disconcerting. I have decided I don't like seeing my medical records!

As far as today goes, nothing much going on. I keep writing impossibly long lists of all the things I need to finish at work before I leave for Gainesville, and then being given other urgent projects to work on. So I think a lot of it isn't going to get done. Oh well, if they fire me, at least that's the decision made as to whether I stay here or not.

2 comments:

namaste said...

Odd that your RE didn't discuss the results of your lap with you. Not something I'd like to read without a medical interpretation. You're switching clinics right? Or did I make that up? (quite possible - I have such the imagination). Anyway, hopefully the Clear Passage people have some answers (and solutions) for you. xo

Solitaire said...

No, he did discuss the results with me, and even gave me photos. It's just that he didn't tell me to my face that he thought I had an anatomic anomaly, nor did he tell me he thought it could interfere with egg pickup. I guess he didn't want to ruin my positive thinking. Although I'd probably have jumped to IVF sooner if he'd discussed that part with me. And not changing clinic (yet). I'll do one more IVF with them, and then think about changing if it doesn't work.