Friday, January 05, 2007

The bureaucracy grinds on

Hey, my visa has been approved! Whoop! But still no driving license. You see, it was processed at the California Service Center (for some reason - hey, let's send this stuff to the other side of the country, even though there are service centers all over the place), and it is winging its way to my attorney by snail mail. Who reckons it'll be another 7-10 days before it gets here. Yup, we paid the additional $1000 fee for premium processing, and it gets sent in the regular mail. No express mail. No priority mail. I'm not even sure why my attorney didn't put a freakin' prepaid FedEx envelope in with the form. I mean, wouldn't you? If you knew that someone was relying on this document for something as basic as their driving license in the good ole U.S. of A. where public transport is pretty much nonexistant outside of New York and maybe San Francisco? If you just coughed up a ton of extra cash for faster processing? Sometimes the sheer idiocy of this whole procedure is just mind-boggling.

Still, my friend A. was so stricken with horror at the thought that I may have to rely on the local Winn Dixie that she has concocted a lunchtime trip to Publix for me. So that's what I'll be spending my lunch doing - grocery shopping! Then we're going to drive to my house, put the groceries away, eat the subs we pick up at the supermarket, and drive back to work. Awww, ain't friends grand?

In diet news, I managed to gain back the 1.5lbs that I lost earlier in the week. How, I don't know. I did use some pretty salty stock cubes, so I hope it is just water retention. Today I will be avoiding salt in the hope that I don't post a weight gain in my first week at WW, when everyone else presumably loses about 5lbs!

C'est la vie.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I tracking my daily food/excercise using fitday which calculates calories in and energy burned.

I nice alternative to charting fertility -- and I'm linking to it on my site so I will hold myself accountable.

your welcome to join me. fitday.com (it's free)