Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Love this!

Treehugger has a post about the Japanese food pyramid here.

I've got to say that it's the first time one of these things has actually made a lot of sense to me, and could actually fit in with the way I eat. In fact, I love it so much that I printed it out and hung it on the wall, and am going to try to follow it. This could be my new healthy eating plan.

A 24-page pdf is here. Page 1 is a better view of the pyramid - or, actually an inverted pyramid that's in the form of a spinning top. Page 2 shows calorie allowances and how you'd vary the serving amounts, but for women aged 18-69 it allows 2200 calories plus or minus 200. I guess the plus or minus depends on height and how active you are. Page 5 shows what constitutes a portion, like half an apple, or that an average size piece of meat or fish is two portions. Sadly, all the text is in Japanese and I don't speak Japanese, but it's very pictorial and the Treehugger page gives a little bit of explanation.

Edited to add: I found an English version here.

Essentially it's saying:

Exercise.
Get most of your liquid from water and tea.
Have 5-7 servings of grains a day - e.g. a slice of bread, a small portion of rice or noodles.
Have 5-6 servings of veggies a day.
Have 3-5 servings of protein a day - e.g. meat, egg, fish, tofu.
Have 1-2 servings of dairy produce a day.
Have 1-2 servings of fruit a day.

Alcohol, sweets and coffee should be had only in moderation.

I mean - yesss! It makes so much sense! We shouldn't be gorging ourselves on fruit because they are high in sugar, so I like how they've separated out the fruit and veggie allowance. I hardly ever manage to have 3 servings of dairy a day, but I can often manage 1 or 2. The protein suggestion is much lower than the US version which was always unattainably high for me and I wasn't sure it was even necessary.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

It does look like it makes so much sense, but argh...coffee in MODERATION????? I don't think I can do that! I mean it is now 9:30 am and I am already on cup #4 and I am just starting to feel human. There is nothing moderate about my caffeine consumption at all....and I doubt that I can change that. The rest of it looks fantastic, though. Thanks for sharing it with us!