Friday, March 28, 2008

Sick

Well, here's a new IVF experience for me. I am sick. I have been up all night being a veritable fountain of puke and diarrhea. I wonder how this will help or hinder my eggs!

I think my dinner did not agree with me. Well, that's putting it mildly. It's something I've eaten plenty of times before - a frozen fake chicken thing [Quorn] with goat cheese and cranberries in the middle. It's rather tasty. I've never had an issue with it previously so either it was stored incorrectly somewhere along the distribution chain and melted and was refrozen, or I've just eaten too many of them and my body has now decided that I was a foolish bint for doing so. But I started feeling weird right after eating it and then the puking started at bedtime.

It kind of reminds me of the time I discovered that I can no longer tolerate peanuts. All thanks to prometrium, which I used in most of my IUI cycles, and I think because of the repeated use my body started to rebel. I'd feel crap every 2ww with a ton of nausea but I just thought it was a progesterone side effect. And then we had a hurricane, and I, being a good girl, had stocked my cabinets with granola bars and other hurricane standbys. So in the days when I had no power I would have 4-6 granola bars a day. All peanut containing. And then the puking and the diarrhea started. I assumed that, because we'd lost the water supply for a day as well as the power, I'd somehow picked up a bug from that. I went to the doctor who diagnosed generic gastroenteritis, and told me to build myself back up by having peanut butter on toast. Yes, literally. Who ever heard of a doctor prescribing peanut butter on toast? So I went home, had some, and more fountains of vomit and diarrhea ensued. Finally it started clicking, but I have to admit, it took having peanuts a few more times and several more incidents before I was able to admit to myself that my days of eating peanuts were over. Anyway, now all the RE's have me marked down as the girl with the peanut allergy and I have to have a conversation with every single nurse and doctor (or so it seems) about whether I'm about to go into anaphylactic shock.

Anyhoo. I've never quite puked as violently or as projectile-ly as tonight, apart from actual food poisoning incidents. And I don't think this is food poisoning because I've had that a couple of times and had really awful stomach pains along with it. This just seems to be my body emptying everything out. And I mean everything. I keep trying to sip water because I'm getting thirsty and I want my eggs to stay hydrated, but nope, that comes back up too. And every time I have diarrhea, that makes me puke. Or dry heave, depending on if I've had some water recently.

Ahh, fun times, fun times. And the kicker is that I have been trying to clear my desk at work ready for a week away in Vegas, and I don't think there's any way to miss work today. At least I've perked up enough to think about sitting up and whiling away the time on the computer so I do seem to be improving somewhat.

But, really. Can't a girl catch a break around here sometimes?

******************************************************

ETA 7.45pm: still sick. I never made it into work, and I still feel like crap. So I don't think it was just me being intolerant of the food because when that happens I usually feel fine when it's been cleared out of my system. And I found that other people have had exactly the same thing happen, so it may be a bug. Fun, fun, fun. Now I have a shitload of stuff to do tomorrow before catching my flight. I hope I'm up to it! Ugh. HATE being sick!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, sorry you're sick. Hopefully it will pass soon and you can get back to feeding those follicles big square meals.

bleu said...

oh my gawd that sounds awful. I have had food poisoning quite a few times, and while yes awful cramping comes usually I have had times where there was none. It sounds just horrid whatever caused it.

You so so so should not have to go through this crap.

Jess said...

Yuck...feel better!! Warm ginger ale usually helps me the day after a pukefest.

Aimee said...

Oh my Sarah...how miserable! I'm sure it will not interfere with your egg quaility.

I have a peanut allergy too!!

Feel better!!!

Almamay said...

Hope you are feeling better and you get to LV safely.

Sam said...

Have you tried the BRAT diet? Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Eat nothing cold or hot, keep it all room temp/lukewarm. Maybe avoid the peanut butter on the toast? (just kidding!!)

I hope you are feeling like a person again.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

We exchanged a few messages on IVF Connections before and I just found your blog when I was doing a search for CGH related stuff (you'd think I could find something better to do on a Saturday, huh?). I'm a fellow Floridian, patient of the same clinic and just completed my 7th IVF as well (waiting on CGH results).

Anyway, just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your cycle. Will follow your blog to see how it goes. Hopefully you start feeling better before the flight.

Staci