Thursday, March 06, 2008

Blood draw #963

I finally went and did my blood draw for whatever test it is that LV Clinic wants as part of the CGH study that I'm doing. I think it's HLA something-something. I didn't pay much attention to be honest, as they're not actually testing it now but storing it for some future test. It has to be FedExed to some lab out in California, and the lab told me I'd have to get the blood drawn, and then take the vials myself to FedEx to ship it to them overnight. Which was kind of annoying, but oh well, what about this process isn't annoying?

So instead of going to the nice, luxury downtown blood draw place that has remarkably few people waiting in line and therefore generally gets me in and out within 20 minutes or so, I decided to go to the crappy, permanently crowded, guaranteed to have a pregnant woman doing a GTT, blood draw place that is nearer my house. Because the place nearer my house is also nearer to the FedEx office, and I didn't want to just leave my precious blood samples lying around in a drop box in the Florida heat so I figured a special trip was necessary. And may I just say that I also think it is crappy that I am now knowledgeable about every freakin' blood draw place in a 20-mile radius and have gone often enough that I have a favorite.

Anyway, off I went, and sat and waited, and waited, and waited some more. And did a bit more waiting, cursing myself for not having made an appointment. Eventually I got called and the clerk said "oh no, we don't give the blood back to patients, we'll get FedEx to pick it up from here." Which should have made me happy, as it was removal of an extra time-wasting step for me, but instead just made me curse my decision to go to that particular blood draw place, and not the luxury, no-waiting-around place. Without the pregnant women. Ah well, we live and learn.

So that's one item crossed off my "5 things I must do this week" list. Only 4 more to go.

No comments: