Thursday, February 01, 2007

Playing tag

I've been tagged by Katty.

I've kind of been avoiding it, because I'm supposed to tell you 6 weird things about myself. But here's the problem. I don't actually think I'm that weird. I think I'm depressingly normal. Now, if you asked the people I know IRL, I'm sure they could come up with any number of weird things about me, but somehow I gloss over my own personal idiosyncrasies and think I'm just like the next person. Maybe that should be item #1.

But anyway, here goes. Six weird things about me:

1. I am weird about joining organizations. Basically, if they want me, I don't want to be part of them! As an example, as a kid I wanted to join Mensa just to prove to my brother that I really am a genius. I spent years thinking how I'd join and show him. When I finally got the guts to apply, I took the test and they accepted me. And then all of a sudden I decided that the people in Mensa were a bunch of pompous snobs because the point of the organization appeared to be basically to tell people how smart you were, and I didn't want to be a part of it. And I can't play chess. So I didn't join after all that effort.
2. I am afraid of birds. Birds, ew. Nasty feathery, beaky, clawy things. They make me think of Hitchcock movies. And don't get me started on pigeons. Pigeons = rats with wings.
3. I am secretly in love with my toes. I have square feet with really short toes. That other people probably think are far too stubby. But I think they are cute, and don't like to look at people's feet when they have really long toes. Especially toes that bend! Or worse, toes that bend up in the middle and then down again. Ugh.
4. My idea of "drying my hair" is to open my car windows on the way to work. I have had to refrain from returning to various hair stylists after they couldn't hide their disdain for my slobby ways.
5. I like to eat butter. Straight up butter. In chunks or slices. As a snack. You may go and vomit now if you like.
6. I have a degree in physics, and I'm weird about telling people what I studied because I think their reactions to it are weird. It's like suddenly they think you're Einstein, and frankly I killed all those brain cells with alcohol abuse so there's not much of that stuff still left in there. Or they think I'm embarrassed about it as that's the only possible reason they can come up with as to why I have been reticent about owning up. It's very good for the ego to be a chick studying physics, by the way, as you go from being a high school dork to suddenly being one of the cool girls in college. Of course, being cool in the physics program is a pretty low bar, but hey.

5 comments:

katty said...

How many years? I can't believe there is someone out there who can beat me on this miserable figure! MThis is pretty desperate.
Here is hoping for a brighter area in this future for the both of us...
My mother is also scared of birds, by the way, and I remember when I was applying for university, turning down one good university on the grounds that they gave me a place immeadiately and I thought, why would I want to be somewhere that wants me so... easily? And immeadiately rejected the offer. So I do know what you mean.
Physics is an excellent subject. I always admire physicists. In fact, I've loved one!

Anonymous said...

*sniff*

I hope that I'm not one of the hairstylists you ditched!! I don't think your ways are slobby! I think that people with curly hair can get away with doing waaaay less than I can. And, I wish I could get away with less "doing"!!

Solitaire said...

Katty - I'm not owning up to the exact number. More than 5, less than 10. Pathetic.

Stephanie - of course not, my dear! I haven't ditched you, I'm just lazy.

katty said...

It's not pathetic. It's sort of epic. I feel like five is epic. I mean, we have gone for longer than most nuns.

Calliope said...

my Mom is a butter lover as well & I have often made fun of her for it. But you- I wouldn't dare.
but other than that- nah, you aren't very weird.
;-)