Thursday, October 05, 2006

Quick update on the embryo stuff

I spoke to the director of the embryology lab at my clinic. [And I now have her direct dial # - ha, that was a mistake on her part!] She was very nice, and agreed with me that the embryo storage place's policies were discriminatory, and said she'd be upset too if there was basically no option other than disposal or donation under their conditions. She said that for married couples, they use the health information from the IVF cycles for donation purposes, and that as they have that for me, and can get the donor's health questionnaire, she didn't see how that was any less information than they have on married patients, so the extra hoops they want me to jump through seem unfair. She also said that it was the first she'd heard of this issue, and she'd look into it for me. So, I heart her! However, she said that unfortunately this embryo storage place is the only one in the area, so unless I wanted to FedEx the embryo to an out-of-state place, she didn't know what to do. She did suggest that I contact the sperm bank to ask about their consent policies, to see if maybe I can attach a consent policy to the form to show that the sperm donor has no say over what happens to the embryos, and hand write on the form that I want to donate the embryo(s) to research in the event of my death. So that's what I'm going to do.

In the meantime, she assured me that they still had the embryo, and would keep it until I can get this stuff sorted out, which was nice of her. Phew!

And I spoke to a nurse, who told me that all my immunology and clotting test results were back, and they were all...normal! Which is good in that there's nothing wrong, but bad in that it means the RE was right and it's probably all just due to my age. Hey, well, I am at least grateful that there will be no shots of heparin or lovenox to be doing during the pregnancy. I just have to find that golden egg!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow- what a flurry of excitement.

Glad you got a human being to talk to you about storage & donation & such. Still seems way lame - as far as policies go.

& hurrah on the immune stuff!