Sunday, October 29, 2006

Beware the whey protein

As anyone with pets, children, elderly relatives or loud neighbors knows, that old "you'll have an extra hour in bed" saying when the time changes is absolute garbage. All it means is that on Monday evening (or Monday morning in the spring), we'll be suffering.

Anyway, rant over. Or is it? Is the good mood evaporating? Are the BCPs finally catching up with me and making me psycho bitch from hell again? Hopefully not. Hopefully this is just post whiny-fucking-cat grumpiness.

What I mainly wanted to post was that I've been struggling to come up with ways to make this IVF different from past cycles, without actually making it hard like doing yoga every day or something would do. Because, you know, it has to be different otherwise it won't be successful. Ignoring the fact that my drug protocol is completely different, and my RE insists it's all just a numbers game. I mean, I have to do something different. So I decided on taking whey protein, because I have read that it can possibly help with egg quality, and I definitely don't eat enough protein seeing as I'm not supposed to be eating soy or dairy. Of course, I do eat soy and dairy, because hello? Vegetarian! I can't live on beans twice a day, every day.

So, I bought some Whole Foods own brand chocolate whey protein powder, and a gallon of fat free milk. Yes, I know, I'm supposed to be doing the whole no dairy thing, but I figured after the first gallon of milk I'd start trying juice or water or rice milk. You know, once I'm in the habit of having a glass of whey protein every day. But oh my good lord, this stuff is delicious. It tastes like a very yummy chocolate milkshake. It is thick and creamy and chocolatey. And it's health food! I had one glass on Thursday night. I had one glass for breakfast on Friday. Then I had a glass for dessert on Friday evening because it was too yummy to wait for Saturday morning. Then I had a glass for Saturday breakfast. Then a second glass, because hey, one just wasn't enough. Then I had a glass after lunch on Saturday, another one for my afternoon snack, and yet another one for dessert. Yes, I had 5 glasses yesterday. At a cost of many many many calories. I had another glass this morning for breakfast, but made it a bit thinner so it didn't taste as good. But honestly, I clearly have no self-control. None whatsoever. What am I going to do when I go through my tub of powder in a week and have put on 10lbs?

I at least have a vanilla flavored one on order from the internet, so hopefully that one won't be as delicious and I can stick to one per day. But you have been warned people, you have been warned. Beware the whey protein!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm! it sounds yummy.
hey- have you ever tried lactaid? & do you consider lactose free to be the same as dairy free?
But at least you are going to have some AMAZING eggs now!

Kim said...

The vanilla is kinda ick, so maybe you won't want to drink it so much. ;)