Thursday, October 19, 2006

IVF #4 cleared for take-off

Well, I just forked over nearly $10.5k to the IVF clinic. What fun! They raised the price by nearly a grand. So happy about that. Not.

But essentially the appointment went well, although I was so late coming in to work that a friend who thought I was bicycling in was ready to start calling the hospitals to see if I'd been hit by a car on my way in. The dildocam did not reveal any cysts, I got my cycle instructions sheet, and I'm to call later today for my FSH and E2 results and to be told the dates for taking all the meds.
I had a moment of heartbreak when I looked at the ultrasound screen before they started on me, and it showed a beautiful perfect little fetus there. With my name at the top. Y'see the machine leaves the last picture taken up on screen until it is started up again, even after the nurse has already inputted the next patient's details. [And let me say, thank gawd I knew the u/s machines did that, so it didn't surprise me.] But there it was, someone else's little fetus with it's yolk sac, hanging out, waiting to be wiped off by a picture of my right ovary. In the spirit of positive thinking though, I decided not to get sad over it or let it freak me out, but instead try to hold onto hope that it was a good omen for this cycle.

It seems somewhat surreal that I'm doing this all over again. That I just parted with an enormous amount of money without flinching, because it all seems so normal. That the nurses know me by sight. That I'm one of the old hands with the fat files that they actually care about getting pregnant now. That I just waltz in and start another IVF cycle like I was getting my hair cut. There's none of the nerves and angst this time (yet) because, well, by your fourth go-around there aren't really any surprises left. All I can say is that it better fucking work this time, otherwise I might seriously lose it.

ETA: FSH = 5.5 and E2 = 36.8, so I am good to go. However, they don't want me to start taking BCPs until Monday, which will be cycle day 6. It looks like they're trying to avoid egg retrieval on Thanksgiving. While I wouldn't have wanted ER actually ON Thanksgiving, it wouldn't have been bad if it had been the day afterwards or something. But anyway, it looks like it'll be the last week in November for me, with possible transfer at the beginning of December.

5 comments:

katty said...

May this be the cycle for you......

namaste said...

What a good week for you! I'm so proud of you for sticking with your goal of cycling to work. And it is most definitely a good omen to see a little baby on the screen before your scan. I believe someone is showing you what is about to happen... I'm sending about a billion positive vibes your way. xo

Anonymous said...

damn. that would have sent me into a gushy sort of weep fest if I had seen that on the U/S monitor.

& just so you know- THIS is it, girl! This is THE cycle!

Anonymous said...

Cross my fingers that this cycle is the one that works for you!

Anonymous said...

That last comment was me by the way.
Demeter