Sunday, October 22, 2006

It was too good to be true

I should have known the happy excited feeling wasn't going to last. On Friday night, my friend K. came to tell me she'd spoken to senior guy to complain about me being offered the position of head of the Sarah team. She'd previously been asked to head this team, but she is at a different job level than me, and frankly has no clue on what needs to be done on a management level. It's not that she should - her job level is just not suitable for running a team like that, and the bosses should never even have considered setting up that team without someone in a job like mine in charge. It simply won't work with someone in her job running it. Anyway, she'd turned it down. And she was the reason I even knew about this team, because she told me. So I felt I should tell her what I'd done, and while I was talking to her she was all "oh, OK, yeah, fine".

Apparently she bitched to senior guy for ages. Then came to tell me off basically for trying to steal "her" job. I pointed out all the things that I could do that she hadn't thought of. I pointed out that her job and my job weren't mutually exclusive, and that we could both be "in charge" of our respective job functions. I pointed out that it wasn't set in stone and they were still working out details. I told her that I am miserable in my current role and this is my last ditch attempt to be happy at our employer. I told her that if she really wanted the job, and it really was a "her or me" situation, I would defer to whatever she and the bosses wanted, because I didn't care enough to fight her over it. And I pointed out that SHE'D ALREADY FUCKING TURNED IT DOWN.

Yesterday morning, I got an email from the big boss, cc'd to senior guy, forbidding me from discussing this team with anyone, especially my boss and K., and telling me that the details weren't worked out yet so it hasn't really been decided who will be doing what in this team. Which means he's really effing pissed at me for talking to K., and that probably I won't get to head this team up out of spite. I emailed back and promised not to discuss anything in the future with K., and then got an email back saying that "change, even positive and exciting change, can fray nerves". Yeah, right.

I had thought K. was my friend, but this is now the second time that she's gone off to discuss something I said, that she misinterpreted, without asking me first what I really meant. She's really landed me in the shit this time.

And I got a letter from Citizens insurance company, which is the FL state "insurer of last resort" that you have to get windstorm insurance from if no other company will give you hurricane coverage. They have got a change in the law, allowing them to drop people without homestead exemption on their property. Homestead exemption basically proves that it is your main home, and exempts you from certain property tax raises. But to get it you have to be a permanent resident of Florida, and my county excludes non-citizens from having it unless they have their green cards. So I don't qualify. And now I might lose my hurricane insurance, which means that living in my house will be impossible as the mortgage company requires it.

Sometimes it really feels as if the fates are lining up and pointing my way to a certain location, which in this instance seems as if it's back to England. Oh well, I guess I'll soldier on for a bit - got to get the IVF cycle done after all, but I really hope things improve soon otherwise I will be having a mammoth yard sale and shipping off. Anyone want to buy an entire house's worth of furniture?

3 comments:

namaste said...

What a crappy end to the week! But good for you for standing up to K (who has no right to a job she's already turned down, as if!). Hopefully things will work themselves out the right way. xo

Anonymous said...

damn that K!! a pox on her house!

or maybe the pox that is currently on your house- may it go be on hers now.

That is ALL KINDS of lame on her part. It shows how very insecure she is and how she is not a friend to you. Good to know, right?

ugh.

just sucks, Sarah. & I'm sorry the rain clouds are on you today.
xo

Kim said...

I know I'm behind on reading up on my girls but... what a craptastically lame person K. is! It is so disheartening to be stabbed in the back at work by someone you thought was on your side.

I really wish I knew about hurricane insurance, and could offer some advice. I'm in real estate, but, umm, commercial (not residential) and I live inland. Sorry.