Wednesday, October 25, 2006

No polyps!

All done with the saline sonogram! And I PASSED! No polyps!

Of course, when I got there, they had me sign some long-ass consent form saying I didn't blame them if I died, then I had to pee in a cup to do a pregnancy test. That I could have told them would be negative because there's been no sperm anywhere near my body since the last negative beta, but the protocol has to be followed people. Rules is rules.

I was led into the ultrasound room pretty quickly, but was left there for what seemed like an age. At least I got to have a good look around, and noticed that not only had they put out a large absorbent pad for me to sit on, there was also one on the floor at the end of the table for me to drip on. It made me feel better somehow that dripping was accepted. Even encouraged. Hey, drip away, they were telling me, we put out an extra pad especially for it. I didn't so much enjoy looking across to the table of torture instruments, but it's not as if it's the first time that speculum + catheter would be introduced to my nether regions, so they didn't faze/phase (how do you spell that?) me as much as they would have 2 years ago.

The doc came in, all bouncy and happy, as he generally is. And he had a medical student in tow. He said I didn't have to allow her to stay, that it wouldn't hurt her feelings if I told her to clear off, but would I mind if she watched. I said "sure, no problem" because after egg retrieval and embryo transfer in the IVF cycles I have no shame any more. Only 3 people in the room looking at my hoo-ha? Why, that's practically private and secluded. I have to say though, it kind of made me feel good that my RE now has a medical student, because there's no teaching hospital nearby, so she must have picked him specially. So he must be a good doctor. [Please, no medical professionals are allowed to burst my bubble here - don't tell me medical students just get assigned to any old MD, I'm trying to reassure myself!] I mean, I know he's a good doctor, but when you have know-it-all friends telling you to switch to the clinic where their friends went, because they did Gloria E_stefan's IVF and therefore must be better than my clinic, sometimes it's nice to have somewhat independent verification that I can figure out who are the good docs around here on my own.

Anyway, the procedure went well. No cramps even. But that may have had something to do with the prescription strength naproxen I bummed off one of said know-it-all friends, because like the dolt I am I forgot to bring my own from home this morning. And there was no gush of saline onto the RE's shoes. Just steady drippage. Which didn't seem so bad as a gush, somehow.

After I'd cleaned up in the adjoining bathroom, and got dressed, the RE announced that he was so pleased I'd passed and didn't have polyps that he was going to give me a prize of a packet of peanuts. With a stupid look on his face. And because I'm not very quick on the uptake, as I was going "ha ha" in a feeble sort of "you are joking, right?" sort of way and wondering if I should say no, he pointed to the big yellow box on the computer screen that screams "peanut allergy" at them every time they do anything. But he's so gangly and geeky and just plain cute (not cute in a sexy way, I mean cute cute) when he's trying to make a joke that I had to laugh. I pointed out that it was his fault that I now have a peanut issue, because of the damn prometrium tablets that somehow made me intolerant to peanuts, and he said that as long as I haven't died yet, that's all that really matters. I tried to explain that I didn't have the anaphylactic shock type of peanut allergy but more of an intestinal, projectile vomiting peanut allergy, but we were kind of getting off the point by then, so I gave up, just smiled, we shook hands and he left. The med student wished me luck on the way out of the room. I wonder how many times she'll say that to patients before she's finished her stint there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wait- the guy wanted to give you free peanuts???
how about free meds?

sooooooo super happy glad that you got teh all clear. yay!!