Thursday, December 07, 2006

The progesterone saga

Well today was the progesterone blood draw. And the result was an underwhelming 23. Last cycle it was 30. The cycle before it was 17.9. The cycle before that it was 12.7. Blah blah blah. I could go on, with all my lousy results down to 3 the first cycle we tested. I shouldn't complain too much, as it has sloooowly been getting better from an average down around 7 up to now having 3 cycles over the magical 15.

23 is fine. It's within normal range. It's not bad. I tell people all the time that the progesterone result is meaningless. And yet.

And yet, here's the rub. Last cycle and this cycle I have been doing my PIO shots in the morning, about 1.5 hours before the blood draw, because I am also doing progesterone suppositories which the RE told me to do overnight. So you would think that any high result would be because I only just shot up with the stuff, and that it's fairly meaningless. If it was like 70 or something I could say, oh, well, it's higher because it's fresh in my bloodstream. If it's 23 and I only just shot up, surely that means that prior to me shooting up it was lower. Like crappily low?

And how on earth can I be shooting up with 1cc of PIO, putting nasty nasty specially compounded 400mg suppositories up my hoo-ha, and STILL only have a level which some women get on a natural, unmedicated cycle? It's all a bunch of crap if you ask me. Or a bunch of gunk, if we're talking progesterone suppositories, as that's what I've got floating around my nether regions.

Progesterone results are meaningless.

But a nice high number would still have made me very happy today.

I got the Ambrosia rice pudding yesterday, by the way, and it didn't hit the spot either. The custard was yummy goodness, but the rice pudding, not so much. So now I'm on a mission for Kozy Shack, and will probably make my own at the weekend if that isn't good either. But now I feel like it's less like a sign and more like just a greedy phase.

Grumble, grumble.

3 comments:

Solitaire said...

Bless you, Margie, that makes me feel better! It's always easier telling someone else that it's meaningless than believing it yourself.

xoxo

Calliope said...

ahhh! I hate progesterone tests- seems like they are only helpful in hindsight...sort of.
I have been thinking of you SO much. have all fingers crossed.

Deb2You2 said...

On the progesterone, FWIW, on my cycle with Max I was only 13 at 8w6d and 15.75 at 9w6d when they took me off progesterone. At 7dpo, I'm typically between 7 - 12 and that is WITH major supplementation (over 400 mg/day) mostly supps, but sometimes PIO. Per my late great RE, the progesterone supplementation only raises the blood levels 1 - 2 points, but supports the placenta as needed. As for the what next, no assvice for you there. I'm in the same boat. Don't know and can't even thing about it now cause it is too raw and I need to be too productive. I'll just hope and pray that this one works and you don't have to feel the disappointment or make any such decision. Deb