Thursday, July 27, 2006

Baby love

I held a baby today! My friend K. had her baby yesterday, and I went to visit at the hospital at lunch time. He is adorable, and I hope my ovaries were listening. It's kind of weird between K. and I since our argument, and I think she's kind of testing me because she has said several times that I probably won't go to see her when she's on maternity leave, or visit her in the hospital. Like I don't want anything to do with her since we had one argument. Oh well. So, I did my duty visit just to prove to her that I am still her friend, and he was perfect and quiet and good and just cute as a button. And it was so good to hold him. Sigh. There's nothing quite like the weight of a newborn baby's bottom in your hand, with his head resting on your arm. He's 7 lb 13 oz, 21 inches long, and is called Tyler. Awwww.

My scan this morning was a little better than yesterday. They are pretty confident that I have two good follicles - 1 at 19mm and 1 at 18mm. Then there are three potentials which are smaller but which may catch up if I'm lucky, so the doctor said that at most we'll go into retrieval with five, but it's more likely to be 2 or 3. Yes, that's right, I said "go into retrieval". The clinic feels that there is no need to cancel if you have two mature follicles so they want to go ahead. Even though their literature says they will cancel if you don't have at least 4 mature follicles, I've come across several people who've gone to retrieval with two so it looks like that's their real cut off. So, I'm bummed about the maximum potential number being 5, because you can't expect all 5 eggs to fertilize, and obviously more = better with IVF, but what can I do. As of right now I think I will go ahead and do the retrieval, because of the better success rate, but I'm still a bit on the fence. I will see what tomorrow's scan says (assuming they have me back tomorrow). The doctor thought it would be a couple of days before I trigger, so I'm hoping for a Saturday trigger and Monday retrieval. Partly because the friend I've arranged to drive me is out of town on Sunday, but another friend, J., has now stepped up and offered to take me if the retrieval is on Sunday, which is fabulously nice of her.

So, I'm doing better today. But still jealous of people who post that all their follicles are between 9 and 9.6 after four days of stims, and wonder if that's OK. I'm at four days of stims, and mine are between 10 and 19. That's a pretty crazy range, because there's no way that a follicle can bridge a 9mm gap in two days to be mature in time for retrieval. Well, given that my big one grew 3mm yesterday, maybe that one could, but the little ones grow at more normal rates so I know they ain't going to catch up. I guess I should look on the bright side and say that at least I used fewer meds, but the nurses always make me buy enough for 10 days of stims so it doesn't really help me!

No comments: